Machines and other equipment’s run by electricity can be hazardous if not properly maintained. Electrical hazards can cause electrical burns and shocks might also be a cause of death. Electrical Safety at Work is very important for any company for everyone’s safety. You have to be proactive in managing all electrical risks on your workplace by keeping a safe electrical environment for your workers as a commitment and as a part of the Electrical Standards Compliance. It is a commitment of business owners to make sure that all electrical equipment and installations in the workplace are without risks to health and safety of any person.
What are electrical risks?
Electricity is both beneficial and risky for us, the injuries caused by electric shocks can even lead us to death. everyone should overcome these risk by specific precautionary measures.
- Electric shock causing injury or death. The electric shock can be received by straight or unintended contact, chasing through or across a medium, or by arcing.
- Arcing, explosion or fire causing burns. The damages are often suffered because arcing or burst or both occur when high fault currents are present
- Electric shock from ‘step-and-touch’ potentials
- Toxic gases causing illness or death. Burning caused by electrical equipment may release various gases and contaminants
- Fire resulting from an electrical fault.
Handling this electrical risks is significant not just for workers but for the complete safety of the business. Electrical Safety at Work is a compulsory and you should be a compliant for you to be able to conduct or function business.
QLD Compliance Solutions provides a comprehensive electrical testing service, which includes visual testing and a detailed Electrical Test on all the appliances on your workplace. We are your one point of contact for all your WH+S compliance needs. For more details visit our website.
“Ensuring Workplace Compliance for your Business”
Electrical Safety at Work
Safety is an imperative subject everywhere, and the workplace is no different. The following tips will benefit you stay safe around electricity at work.
- Any work done, no matter how slight or brief, should be done according to all appropriate codes and standards.
- Before a job is starts, check electric strings for wear. Never pull, bend or twist strings, and store them loosely twisted in a dry place.
- Never carry a tool by its string. And make sure to keep all tools, work areas and storage spaces clean and dry.
- Personal defensive apparatus is an important in the resistance against shock or electrical burns. Make sure to keep boots, gloves and other equipment in good condition.
- Do not overwork an outlet. Don’t use an extension string as a permanent wiring solution.
- Don’t run a string under a mat or furniture. It may get damage or get overheat.
- If a piece of gear gives off a slight shock, infrequent heat or odd smells, don’t use it.
- Unwind an extension string fully before use. Make sure the amperage is suitable.
- Protect supple strings and cables from physical damage.
- Keep slack in supple strings to avoid tension on electrical terminals.
- When a fuse functions or circuit breaker trips, conclude the reason before exchanging or resetting.
Electricity is a really an important part of our life, but electricity can kill too. that is why Electrical Safety at Work is very important.
Injuries occurred by electric shocks can be triggered by an extensive range of voltages but the danger of injury is normally greater with higher voltages and is reliant on upon individual conditions. Torch batteries can ignite combustible substances.
Alternating current (AC) and Direct Current (DC) electrical supplies can root a range of injuries including:
- Electric shock
- Electrical burns
- Loss of muscle control
- Thermal burns
A voltage as low as 50 volts given between two parts of the human body causes a current to flow that can lump the electrical signals between the brain and the muscles. This may have a number of special effects including:
- Stopping the heart beating correctly
- Stopping the person from breathing
- Initiating muscle spasms
The precise effect is dependent upon a large number of things counting the size of the voltage, which parts of the body are convoluted, how wet the person is, and the length of time the current flows. Electrical Safety at Work is a must thing for any company as no lives can be compromised.